Re: Out of memory -- System halted

Matthias Hanisch (matze@camline.com)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:26:44 +0200 (METDST)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Bob_Tracy wrote:
>
> > Couldn't get 2.3.11 to boot with the vesafb mode switching enabled, so
> > I turned it off to see if there were any messages I might be able to
> > see with the console remaining in text mode. Looks like something
> > weird going on with memory sizeing/usage at boot time. I'm getting
> > "Out of memory -- System halted".
>
> Hi,
>
> Does bumping HEAP_SIZE in arch/i386/boot/compressed/misc.c to 0x3000
> help? I've run into this both with kdb and absolutely stock kernels.
> (kdb author solved problem) I also used to see this quite a bit when
> compiling with various versions of pgcc. (blamed maybe innocent pgcc;)
>
> -Mike

The same problem occurred to me at the beginning of the 2.2.x (albeit
slightly patched) kernels. The cause of the problem was that the huffman
code lookup table grew too much with some byte patterns in the kernel
image. Minimal changes in kernel source code made the problem disappear.

I talked to the author of zlib about this and he suggested to raise the
HEAP_SIZE, too. Debugging showed that the HEAP_SIZE was only some bytes
too small in my case.

I second this to raise the heap size a bit (IMHO 0x2400 should be enough).

Matze

--
Matthias Hanisch   office: matze@camline.com   private: matze@pingu.franken.de
                           +49 8137 935-219             +49 8441 82387

"CAPS - Software from Experts for Experts"