Re: [2.2.x] Obscure framebuffer bug

Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:26:40 MET-1

On 21 Jul 99 at 14:16, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
> Basic rundown of how to try to reproduce it:
> Top of the screen is fairly empty.
> You are typing in bash, a line that is longer that the width
> of the screen (you are one line above or on the bottom of the
> screen).
> Instead of using backspace, you use your arrow keys to go from
> the bottom line to the line above it. When this happens, the
> line in question gets redrawn at a random position on the bottom
> of the screen.
Hi,
did not you change your screen resolution? Readline library used by
bash reads screen size only at startup and if you change screen resolution
(mainly screen width) after bash starts, it does strange things because
of real cursor position does not match with position computed by readline.
For example, if readline thinks that line start is one line up and twenty
backspaces (because of you typed 100 chars with COLS=80) and you now have
COLS=120, it gets printed one line above at column 80...
I do not know any other workaround than restarting bash session.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz