Re: kernel thread support - LWP's

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
18 Jul 1999 08:48:03 -0700

"Khimenko Victor" <khim@sch57.msk.ru> writes:

> The whole idea is to avoid context switches after process creation (it's not
> even related to LWP's). I can not understood how clone()ing to a trampoline
> will help to do this.

Well, I need it to set parameters (e.g. the scheduler) for children.
It cannot reliably be done without a new option since the manager
thread has to know when the child is created and it must change the
parameters before it starts executing. And you ertainly don't want to
have a sleep(1) in the manager before changing the parameters (and
maybe even this can fail.

Instead it is necessary to know that once clone() returns the manager
can set the parameters.