Re: 2.2.10 oops (finally, something I can report!)

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:14:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> I don't want to troubleshoot a hardware problem on linux-kernel, but I
> strongly suspect that the CPU or ram is not at fault. I have been running
> Linux on this machine ever since September and never changed any bios
> settings (except enabling apm monitor blanking) since then. Heat is not a
> problem since the machine is idle most of the time and oopsen usually
> occur at a load level below 0.10, which is where the machine is at
> usually. Running processor-intensive tasks for hours does not seem to
> trigger anything, even on a hot summer day.

Note that some classes of CPU bugs happen exactly _because_ of CPU
shutdown for power management. If something in the CPU is not fully
static, being _idle_ can be the thing that corrupts it..

> > So I would strongly suggest turning off MTRR support, and see if the
> > behaviour is more reliable.
>
> This does make sense, I think that Cyrix MTRR suport first got merged
> in in 2.2.9, which is when the I started getting Oopsen. If I do have
> more problems, I will try disabling it

In addition to disabling the MTRR code, I would suggest disabling this
code too:

> Cyrix processor with "coma bug" found, workaround enabled

but it does not have a config option, so you'll actually have to disable
the code by hand in include/asm-i386/bugs.h (just search for 'coma bug').

Linus