Re: The stability crisis

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:58:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Rene Chaddock wrote:

> For whats its worth, I agree 2.2.x it way too unstable. I wouldn't
> recommend anybody switch to it as it stands now.

I've yet to have any problems w/ anything in the 2.2.x series...
Different people/configurations are of varying stabilities, of course...

> I've not had huge problems, mostly sound problems (which I am hoping to
> look into as part of my first dip into kernel 'hacking') and a single
> complete hang in X, but from reading the list and seeing the file
> corruption 'reading beyond end of device' errors people have had in
> 2.2.10, I fell that something has gone wrong in the development process.

I've yet to have any FS corruption under 2.2.10, and I believe
they've got a hold of that particular bug, though I didn't hear about it
in 2.2.10 as much as in 2.3.x... Though I don't always follow very
closely. ;)

> The scary thing is that the 2.3 codebase is branched off the relatively
> unstable 2.2 codebase, so 2.4 will have the bugs introduced in 2.3, AND
> ones from 2.2 that didn't/may not get fixed.

Changes generally get incorportated in both branches...

> I really don't care about NT and FUD, but I would like to see things going
> more in the direction of the 2.0.x kernels in terms of stability.
>
> I don't think its proper to draw attention away from the 2.2.10 problems
> with a comment as to how it is still maturing - Sure 2.0.x took 37
> iterations to become 'fully' stable, but its troubling that there is so
> much concern about the 2.3.x file corruption, and nothing about the 2.2.x
> corruption (even though I personally don't experience it).
>
> Fall isn't that far away, and I would really like to feel more confident
> in the 2.2 kernel I'm running now before switching to the bigger and
> better 2.4 :P
>
> :( My two cents, anyway. I've been concerned for a bit, but don't consider
> myself talented enough programmer to actively do anything about it (I'm
> still learning...)

Well, report any problems you do have... :)

Stephen