Re: Network slow-downs - someone follow this thread this time please!

Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:12:22 +0200

--maH1Gajj2nflutpK

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 11:05:32PM +0000, cybertech@cybertech.org wrote:
> I've got 3 machines running 2.2.10. 2 of the machine are PPro200, 1 is=
=20
> PII 350. All are running 3COM 3C905/905b PCI controllers -- 5 of them in=
=20
> total, 2 running at 10mb, 3 at 100mb.
>
> [... ---- ...]
>=20
> The machine currently has two network cards, one ISA NE2000 clone and
> one Intel Ether Express 100 card, which is the card I have trouble
> with. The machine works many as NFS-server.
>=20
> After upgrading to the 2.2 series we have from time to time
> experienced severe slow-downs on the TCP performance, down to 1-10% of
> the normal performance, measured by ttcp. According to /proc/net/dev,
> we have no packet loss when the network slows down.
>=20
> [...]
> The performance goes back to normal when I take down the interface and
> reinsert the eepro100 module into the kernel. After I've done that,
> the performance is fine for a couple of days or maybe weeks.
> [...]
>=20
> The traffic that goes through the NE2000-card seems to be unaffected
> by what's happening on the eepro100 interface, the ping response is
> stable way below 5 ms all time. I used to have an Accton 21140-based
> card instead of the eepro100 card, and I experienced the same problems
> using that card too.

Strange enough, I remember that I read a thread about losing network
connectivity. The 3C905, tulip and eepro100 seemed to be affected, NE2000 n=
ot.
So what's so special about their drivers? About their hardware? Speed?

Anybody has a clue?
--=20
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> SuSE GmbH, N=FCrnberg, FRG
Linux kernel development; SCSI driver: DC390 (tmscsim/AM53C974)

--maH1Gajj2nflutpK

--maH1Gajj2nflutpK--