Re: FTP benchmark proposal

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:46:49 +0200

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 12:11:21AM +0200, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > The hard thing will be to simulate slow/timing out connections that occur over
> > the internet. Just low-latency local networking with no lost packets is easy.
> >
> > So perhaps something like a NISTNET box is needed inbetween?
> >
> When benchmarking CGI on web servers, it is common to include a sleep(3)
> or so call somewhere in the script.
> Maybe this can most easily be done on the client side with a few lines
> of perl (or C) like:

This does not help, because the client TCP/IP stack will still work
asynchronously as long as the receive buffer does not fill up (and then it
still acks the zero window probes), all rather unrealistic I would guess.

So if you want to test the stack, not the server user space hacks won't
do.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.