Re: fsck is dead (was: Some very thought-provoking ...)

Mark H. Wood (mwood@iupui.edu)
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:53:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Malcolm Beattie wrote:
> > He said that ext2 fsck right *now* would take 3
> > hours for a 100GB filesystem. I replied saying that I'd benchmarked
> > it at 13 minutes for a 75% full 43GB filesystem (and I now have 4 such
> > filesystems attached to our mail server cluster). Within a year, I
> > expect to see journalling support for ext2. Within that year, I don't
> > expect any system crashes and, if there is a crash, I find 13 minutes
> > to be an acceptable fsck time given the other advantages of the Linux
> > mail cluster.
>
> I find the 5 minutes for my 75% full 6.4GB filesystem tedious but ok.
> If fsck time were linear, the same system would take 33.5 minutes for 43GB.

If you're saying that 33.5 minutes downtime is okay with you, I guess you
don't have *customers* on this system. It will be Not OK to them.

A Brazil-nut is neatly packaged and tightly integrated.  To turn it into
food, you must crack and remove the shell.  I find that I feel the same
way about an increasing number of software products.  *sigh*