Re: [RFC] Subtle race in dup2() and permissions on /proc/<pid>/fd/<n>

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:56:53 +0100

Alexander Viro writes ("Re: [RFC] Subtle race in dup2() and permissions on /proc/<pid>/fd/<n>"):
> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Peter Benie wrote:
>
> > They look like symlinks, but the behaviour is closer to that of
> > hard links, and the permissions do mean something. Keep them as they are.
>
> *Only* if you are doing lstat() on them. Everything else doesn't care.

If I'm looking at /proc/*/fd at all, the chances are that I'm
investigating what a particular program is up to. 'ls -l' uses lstat()
and gives me some information about what's going on.

Peter