Re: 2.3.6 TCP stack bug

Steve Bergman (steve@netplus.net)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:08:52 +0000

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, David S. Miller wrote:
>
> > Are you trying to do bulk transfers and "choppy" connections at the
> > same time? This is where PPP tends to break down, and one suggested
> > workaround is to explicitly set your tx queue length to some small
> > value at ifconfig up time (say "4"), this makes congestion control
> > kick in much faster in these kinds of connection loads. You will then
> > see that load is spread out more evenly and connections make equal
> > progress.
>
> OK. I'll try different things and document them for the
> linuxperf site so that others can learn from it. I'm
> also downloading a new netbase package since ifconfig 1.46
> doesn't seem to know about txqueuelen :)

I have not really found txqueuelen to be very helpful. The default for
ppp seems to be 10 and I see no real difference at 3 or 1. What *does*
seem to make a difference is a combination of that and setting the
window using "route" to about 8192, which seems to still give good all
out speed and good interactivity when a background transfer or two are
going on. The txqueuelen of 3 may or may not be necessary but I do it
anyway.

-Steve