Re: Linux versioning scheme

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:00:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> I knew it when I saw the first message that this was going to
>become one of THOSE threads from hell that won't die, even if they don't
>amount to a hill of beans... One of those religious type topics where
>everyone has an opinion on...

Holy over-reaction batman. I don't see this getting to that
point at all. It's pretty much cut and dried regardless.
Nobody's opinion is going to make even the smallest 1/100000000
of an ounce of difference to Linus's existing release method
anyways, so discussing it beyond the current level is moot.

> Ok... My contribution to the noise..

And insurance that such a thread does take place?

>> > Stable -- No serious bug reported in the past x days
>>
>> 2.2.z
>
> I vote for four levels!
>
> /4 - Production --- Comfortable woobie (security blanket)
> /4+1 - Beta --- Adventerous and/or recently released from asylums
> /4+2 - Development --- Bleeding edge masochists
> /4+3 - Dearly Beloved We are Gathered Here --- Go for the gusto.
>
> Ok, ok... A joke already... Don't hit me! :-)

;o)

> Having helped with the 2.1.12x "flue" and the recent 2.2.8 fiasco,
>I know the feeling of that last category...
>
> I think the current system has served us well enough that others
>have been following the example. Whether one person or another thinks
>it can be "improved", it still works.

Right, and it is highly unlikely to change.

> First law of engineering: If it ain't broke - DON'T FIX IT!
>
> It ain't broke, so don't fix it!

I agree completely.

>> You haven't said anything that can't allready be done IMHO.
>> Perhaps you weren't aware of the 'pre' releases or where to get
>> them. We also have the 'ac' patches, as well as 'arca'
>> releases...
>
> I agree. Two branches with "pre", and "-ac", and "-az" et al...
>patches seem to work incredibly well. Leave it alone!

Unless we get something like -ac+az+arca.gz... ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...