Re: why no fdset patch in kernel?

Brian (signal@shreve.net)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:21:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,

> >> In the 2.2 case mainly because it didn't get in in time,
>
> > Since work on 2.2 hasn't stopped (which is because we're not at 2.4 yet ;-)
> > will it eventually find its way to 2.2.whatever?
>
> Given that it is in the *ac* patches, there is a supported way of using
> it on 2.2 anyway. Is there much demand for the fdset patches as a
> separate, standalone patch for 2.2?

Stephen,

Yes, I know of the ac patches, and I think that is great, and if that is
the route you all would suggest, then that is fine by me. My concern is
that the linux kernel, by itself, cannot serve a high hit web site,
without a modification of file descriptor limits in the kernel. Since
their is only 1024 fd's available, as a hard limit, set in the source.

Any decently "large" web site would push much beyond this. I am sure you
all at redhat.com either modified your kernel to overcome that limit (or
you're clustering), but my point is alot of people who have heavy activity
(news, web, etc) need this patch. Its the only patch we normally do to
the kernel here.

I realize that 95% of the linux using community does not need any
modification to fd limits, only the larger sites.....so priority is/could
be low, and I totally understand. I was mainly just curious if the reason
it wasn't integrated was because of some possible downfalls to doing this
(going over 1024). It was explained to me, that it just didn't make the
deadlines etc, and thats understandable.

Brian