Re: Network bug 2.2.* - reboot linux every week?

Benjamin C.R. LaHaise (blah@kvack.org)
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:21:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Dietmar Kling wrote:
> Symptoms: Difficult to describe (Hanging/No Network
> Connections/ Connection dropped)
> It looks like the server becomes selective which connection
> (tcp/udp) it accepts
> computer A can connect to server
> computer B cannot (same eth0 device)

What are these other machines? Is B running Linux 2.2? (hunch if the
following makes sense) What does the Tcp line in /proc/net/snmp look
like: is InErrs > 0?

> Method to trigger the bug:
> * uptime > 20 Days
> * connect to the internet
> * and like yesterday setup a new virtual device
> ifconfig eth0:22 ... up
> and after 2 hours the server gets crazy

Might it be related to a 24 day uptime? I had problems with
tcp_paws_discard erronoeously discarding incoming packets because an ACK
was received before a data packet, and in the process I noticed that it
makes use of a 24 day timestamp. If you're seeing InErrs going up when
the connection freeze is happening, then it's probably the source of the
bug. Also, it's quite evident in a tcpdump as you can see the host
receiving a packet, but not ACKing it. See
http://www.kvack.org/~blah/a.leeloo for one such trace.

-ben

--
Hi!  I'm Signature Virus 99!  Copy me into your .signature and join the fun!