Re: egcs-1.1.2 ping bug also causes miscompilation of pcbit isdn drive

Joerg Pommnitz (pommnitz@darmstadt.gmd.de)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:11:11 +0200

Horst von Brand wrote:
> Come on, it can be done. Similar stuff (the myriad invalid asm constraints,
> and assorted breakage due to better optimization by egcs) were fixed
> without that much of a fuzz. I've been compiling my kernels with egcs
> snapshots for something like a year and a half now...

According to the egcs people, the aliasing framework has
been integrated into egcs since 1.1, but it had not been
enabled by default. gcc-2.95 (AKA egcs-1.2) will switch
it on by default. So, you have not yet seen the true
size of the problem.

Both, Dave Miller and Andy Kleen, tried to fix the TCP
code and gave up on it. This seems to indicate much more
work than just a few fixed .h files and explains why Linus
pressed so strong (and quite futile) to change the
egcs behavior.

--
Regards
       Joerg