Re: ppp not forwarding broadcast packets?

thoth@purplefrog.com
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:07:53 -0400

Chris Wedgwood <cw@ix.net.nz> ,in message <19990615081804.B12309@caffeine.ix.ne
t.nz>, wrote:

> routers per-se should not forward broadcast packets... or bad things
> might occur (possible variation of smurf attacks, etc).

I get your point. Still, it's inconvenient when you don't have an
ethernet card for your laptop and you want to SMB-mount that share full of
MP3s to load up before you hit the road.

What doubly sucks is that my Win98 can't access the public read-only
samba share because of password problems and the EnablePlainTextPassword
hack doesn't do the trick. But that's no fault of linux.

> some routers have `helper' facilities that allow them to forward
> certain types of broadcast packets. This could be implemented in
> user-space fairly easily I think... (provided nothing else was
> stopping you receiving the interesting packets).

Hmm, perl script on the horizon? You'd have to be able to resend it with
the other computer's IP address. Sounds like I'd have to read some RFCs
and research the spoofing code. hoil!

--
Bob Forsman                                   thoth@gainesville.fl.us
           http://www.gainesville.fl.us/~thoth/