Re: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:38:25 -0400

David <david@kalifornia.com> said:
> "Michael B. Trausch" wrote:
> > Hm. Which would you rather have in YOUR kernel?

> > "Fatal Exception 0E at address 349f930d:020a34ff"
> >
> > Or
> >
> > "Something fucked up. This shouldn't happen."
> > "oops 00"
> >
> > Well, they may be unprofessional, however, they are very concise, and well
> > understood among all of us humans, no?
>
> so...what really broke? something happened that shouldn't have happened and
> it's happening is an expletive. not very concise, descriptive, or well
> understood.

OK, so you have a point. How about looking around for comments or printk's
that arent't clear enough (foul language or not) and proposing patches, or
at least asking the relevant maintainers or this list what the
message/comment should say and asking for clarification? Call it "Kernel
Language Spring Cleaning Project" (KLSC for short, so it's a 4-letter word ;-)

Bitching here about foul language in general doesn't get the kernel anywhere.

> on the other hand;

> "fatal exception 0e" a fatal processor exception was trapped. the exception
> code is 0x0e
>
> "at address nnnn" this describes where it happened.

How do I find out what code 0x0E means? What use is the address? Sorry, I
have bad memories of an IBM RT and its "error codes", some hex gibberish
you had to look up in a manual, that very often simply wasn't at hand. And
having the relevant manual on line isn't at all useful if the machine just
crashed. This particular type of stuff is handled by Oopsen in Linux, quite
well I might add.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl