Re: WinModem Driver for Linux?

Peter Jones (pjones@redhat.com)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:27:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > Isn't there a driver for a "SoundBlaster" modem in the recent kernels?
> > > IIRC, it can do 9600 bps, so changing that driver to use a different DSP
> > > might be a better way to do this.
> >
> > AFAIK this is only for amateur radio network protocols. Not only do
> > winmodem drivers have to do the DSP work, but they also have to do the
> > error correction and data compression algorithms as well, which if I
> > remember right, are covered by numerous patents.
>
> Gzzz. DSP is the hard part. You could use gzip for compression if you
> really wanted to, and error correction is usually done with crc +
> retransmits, so that's not problem, either.

You can't use gzip if you want it to talk to other modems. Duuuh.

> Well, you could end up with driver that would only be able to connect
> linux-to-linux, but I guess that it is WAY better than no driver at
> all.

Not really. I havn't seen a Portmaster or a telco switch that emulates
modems that runs Linux yet. The most common use of a modem at this point
in time is to talk to an ISP, and most real ISPs aren't using Linux to
talk to their modems -- they're using specialized hardware. They're
probably not using winmodems either.

-- Peter

Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.
-- Dale