Re: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:28:37 +0200

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 02:53:56PM -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Uh... last I checked, .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 files were binary and didn't
> contain enough to filter something (and filters don't operate on binary
> material for the most part anyway).

Actually, this reminds me of a comp.risks passim where one of the filtering
products would censor swearwords out of any downloaded file. Pick a couple
of random tarballs of the linux source tree and perform

grep -i fuck

on them (and apparently these filters were even less cautious about what
they stripped to be sure of catching `f u c k', etc.)

just tried it on a few I have here, didn't find any, but 2.3.3.tar.bz2
contains `shit'. I love it when these sort of things fail.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of