Re: Byte blasts Linux?

Jorge Gonzalez Villalonga (jorgegv@icai.upco.es)
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 09:19:38 +0200

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> http://www.byte.com/columns/servinglinux/1999/06/0607servinglinux4.html
>
> In this article they say that Linux has 10% less performance when
> operating without swap even if it's not in use.
>
> The doesn't agree with my expirences.. Any comments?
>
> -

I always thought that Linux striped through all configured swap
partitions, and I didn't need to do swap over RAID. In fact, if I
remember well, the documentation of the Raid tools says that swapping
over a striped device won't give better performance, because the kernel
already stripes swap partitions...

Seems that the guy who wrote the article is a bit misinformed...

(I'm really sick with all this FUD nowadays... ;-PPPPPPPPP)

--
Jorge Gonzalez  <jorgegv@icai.upco.es>       -o)
ICAI - Universidad Pontificia Comillas       /\\