Re: Deletion of big files...

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
21 May 1999 11:51:37 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.10.9905180149420.8976-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>,
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Mon, 17 May 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:
>
>> Hell knows. I can see one thing where it would be a clear win - if we
>> are deep down on free blocks we will be better off taking them from
>> the queue instead of searching through bitmaps. This would require a
>> bit different eater on the blocks queue (different behaviour when fs
>> is low on free space; instead of marking blocks free put them into the
>> small cache where they can be found fast; finding free block would
>> involve checking the cache if we are low on free blocks).
>
>Why not just queue them onto a kernel thread (i.e krmd) and let it delete
>the files when the system is idle?

That would be good for implementing a proper undelete; when an inode is
freed, instead of trashing it just give it to the delete daemon and have
it cling to it (or write it into a trashcan), then delete it at whatever
the configured deletion criteria are.

____
david parsons \bi/ The "ohmygod" command is sorely missed.
\/