Re: Linux & NFS caching: reducing TCO

Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Mon, 17 May 1999 03:30:33 +0200

--Oiv9uiLrevHtW1RS

On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 11:34:05AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> > I remember there was an nfs hack whereby you could have
> > different files going to different clients from the same nfs
> > volume based on an extension of the filename. eg something
> > like:
>=20
>=20
> > I remember reading about this somewhere in the
> > linux/Documentation directory a long time ago. But I can't find
> > back anymore now, just when it'd be useful to me.
>=20
> > Anybody remember this feature? and whether it still exists?
>=20
> > That must have been before I got involved with the NFS client. I can't=
=20
> > say I've heard of it.
>=20
> i think i read it when i just started using linux about 2 years ago..
> (end of '96, RH4.2, 2.0.18). Was there a kernel nfs server then? Cause
> i'm not 100% i read it in linux/Doc... perhaps it was a unfsd feature.
> Whatever, I'm sure this feature did exist (somewhere), cause I was so
> struck at the usefulness of it.
>=20
> I've checked the nfs howto and the nfs-root, nfs-root-client
> mini-howto's from that era, but can't find back any reference to it. Are
> there archives of older kernel tree's online where i could check up the
> linux/Doc.. stuff?
>=20
> Trond: how difficult would it be add this feature to the current knfsd?
> it would be really useful in certain situations, eg exporting a single
> /etc directory to multiple clients. Or for example i have two seperate
> /usr/lib/sane exports, one for the net clients, and one for the sane
> server. They need different symlinks. I could avoid a lot of duplication
> with a feature like that.=20
>=20
> (also i could edit sendmail.cf once and have it apply to all the 'dumb'
> 'forward to site server' sendmail client setups.)

This transname hack was not NFS specific!

it allowed to have name suffixes like "name#HOST=3Dterm2#".
When you tried to open the file "name" and your hostname is "term2" you will
succeed in spite of a file "name" nmot existing: you will open
"name#HOST=3Dterm2#"

I've setup a pool of X-Terminals using this patch, so feel free to ask for
more details. (But I have to recheck.) I can provide a diff against 2.0.36.
But maybe the developers of the patch (Stuttgart) have ported it to 2.2, I
don't know.

Regards,
--=20
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> SuSE GmbH, N=FCrnberg, FRG
Linux kernel development; SCSI driver: DC390 (tmscsim/AM53C974)

--Oiv9uiLrevHtW1RS

--Oiv9uiLrevHtW1RS--