Re: Linux & NFS caching: reducing TCO

Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Mon, 17 May 1999 03:20:42 +0200

--fXStkuK2IQBfcDe+

On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 05:38:39AM +0100, Paul Jakma wrote:
> Slightly off-point, but..
>=20
> I remember there was an nfs hack whereby you could have different
> files going to different clients from the same nfs volume based on an
> extension of the filename. eg something like:
>=20
> ls on the server of nfs export:
>=20
> size 2242 file1:-client1
> size 3091 file1:-client2
>
> [...]
>=20
> I remember reading about this somewhere in the linux/Documentation
> directory a long time ago. But I can't find back anymore now, just
> when it'd be useful to me.
>=20
> Anybody remember this feature? and whether it still exists?

It was called the transname patch and coded at Stuttgart University as a
patch against 2.0.x. It was even included in some 2.1 kernels, but killed
later on.=20

Regards,
--=20
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> SuSE GmbH, N=FCrnberg, FRG
Linux kernel development; SCSI driver: DC390 (tmscsim/AM53C974)

--fXStkuK2IQBfcDe+

--fXStkuK2IQBfcDe+--