Re: Wish list for kernel 2.3

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Sun, 16 May 1999 23:47:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Adam Sulmicki wrote:

> And that brings me to interesting question. Would that be technically
> possible to implement IP-over-EIDE ? I figure many cheap-but-good motherboards
> come with inbuild EIDE controller, but no Ethernet. Would I want make
> clustering, it would be quite easy to connect those motherboards via
> EIDE cables.

Wishes are one thing, WAGs of this magnitude is insane.
The order of complexity to get drives and adapters to communicate
correctly has gone up several orders already, but between EIDE-adapters
is beyond. You should not that the same drive yields diffrent
performance values based upon the EIDE-adapter used.

We can not even throttle up and down nicely any drive-adapter combination
to date with the latest changes. You might be able to pull of this one
with identical mainboards that are from the same lot, but any ideas of
mixing between chipsets.........I won't go there......my head is reeling
in pain already from this thought.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/