Re: 2.3.x wish list?

Graffiti (ramune@lycaeus.calstatela.edu)
Fri, 14 May 1999 00:53:49 -0700

On Thu, May 13, 1999 at 07:21:51AM -0400, mark@hoist.nlcomm.com wrote:
> It is, and betas will appear soon for 2.2.* kernels.
> It will *never* be part of the standard kernel, because
> US Government thinks that encryption is equal to munitions..
>
> 40-bit encryption isn't. Why not just put 40 bit as the default
> in the kernel, but require patching to get any higher.

Did France change their laws regarding crypto? Otherwise, you can't even
put 40-bit encryption into the kernel. Unless you want to make sure
French users need to get registered with thier government before using
Linux.

> > - ext2 is showing its age on larger partitions; my 3 9 gig drives
> > take about a half hour to fsck, and up to a minute just to mount.
>
> ftp://mea.tmt.tele.fi/linux/LFS/
>
> Thanks. Is there any concensus on which filesystem is "next" after
> ext2? There was lots of talk about the reiser fs for example...

Yeah, whatever works. :-)

-- DN
P.S. are bigfoot & earthlink addresses still blocked? those are about
my only "stable" email addresses...