Re: Overscheduling DOES happen with high web server load.

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 9 May 1999 16:38:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Greg Lindahl wrote:

>Why is schedule called so frequently? The thundering herd. You get a
>new connection, everyone wakes up, only one gets work, and everyone
>else goes back to sleep, each causing O(A) work to reschedule. M hits

The reality until 2.2.7 is that everyone wakes up, need_resched of the
current task is set to 1 so the rescheduled CPU will issue a schedule()
very shortly, but nobody of the wakenup tasks gets rescheduled and
schedule() become a nono. This is the main wastage of resources. I think
it's just fixed in pre-2.2.8-4 though ;).

Andrea Arcangeli