Re: performance & you-know-who

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 9 May 1999 04:03:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>(we can kill atime, mke2fs with fancy options or use reiserfs, add the
>Beowulf hack for multiple Ethernet cards, hack the scheduler, etc.)

This mean that they must my tree to do the benchmark:

ftp://e-mind.com/pub/andrea/kernel/2.2.7_andrea7.bz2

Killing atime and all other issues are really _minor_ issues compared to
my redesign of the flushtime handling, of the dirty buffer garbage
collection and on my new shrink_mmap design.

If the benchmark imply VM and I/O load, my tree will give a big boost (as
_worse_ a 10% improvement) and it's rock solid (I doesn't work by luck).

I also have a patch against pre-2.2.8-4 but I want to finish fixing the
new scheduler in the pre-patches before releasing it (I plan to finish
tomorrow).

How can I get in touch with people how is doing the benchmark?

Andrea Arcangeli