Re: Linux Tuning

George Bonser (grep@shorelink.com)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 18:16:23 -0700 (PDT)

On 18 Apr 1999, Timothy Writer wrote:

> Funny, at my company, we were just discussing making a similar offer to the
> Linux community. I guess you've beaten us to the punch! That's probably
> a good thing because our web server is currently behind a busy ISDN
> connection. :-(

Well, it looks like others have even better connectivity that I have
available so it is looking like it will truely be a team effort.

> Is anyone on this list a member of the linux-perf list? I just joined it
> recently but there's not much traffic. Perhaps we should take this
> discussion there.

Sounds good. Do you have a URL or other subscription info?

> We're also very interested in sar and other performance monitoring tools.

THere was mention here on the kernel list in the past few weeks. I don't
think I still have the address for the mailing list that was set up but
this is also a high priority for us. I have some things written in tcl
that I had started working on including a web based "control-panel" where
you could watch the performance of various servers. I will crank up
development on that again in the next couple of weeks.

> Have you considered contacting the LDP? The contact for HOWTOs is
> linux-howto@metalab.unc.edu but I think a Performance-HOWTO is a little
> limited, at least for what I have in mind. I'm not sure who to contact for
> larger projects, anyone know?

Hmm. A howto is a good idea but the problem with them is they tend to go
stale quickly. We would need someone to "bird-dog" the thing and make sure
that it is kept up to date with different sections for different kernel
versions.

> > This company is not a system or software vendor, they are a consulting
> > company and solutions provider. Something like this fits them well. They
>
> Same here.

Great. There are several others that are also offering resources, two
sites with websites, at least one other mailing list. My goal is to
somehow tie together all of the resources so that there is a single place
to go for all the information. I am also interested in benchmarking things
on a set of reference systems. I want to get exact numbers on different
hardware, different tweaks and the results on these different hardware
configurations, etc. For example, how much of a performance delta is there
REALLY between two different SCSI controllers or drives. Does a particular
tweak have a larger impact with certain hardware configurations. The goal
is to get this documented and keep it up to date as new hardware and
software becomes available.

Knowing what to tweak is only half the issue, knowing if it is even going
to make a difference worth the effort is also important. Which tweak is
going to get you the most performance gain? WHich ones have the potential
to cause other problems with certain hardware configurations?

THis information could be a great help for hardware vendors, software
vendors and the community as a whole.