Re: K6-2, Stepping 12, MTRR in 2.2.6

Vasilios Hoffman (zeus@vhoffman01.stu.wesleyan.edu)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 21:07:01 -0400 (EDT)

look at the documentation that comes with the linux kernel
(Documentation/mtrr I think), it tells you to echo a line to /proc/mtrr

basically you find the start of the linear framebuffer for your graphics
card (told to you when you run startx or xdm) and pass that information
along with the size of your graphics memory to /proc/mtrr and tell
/proc/mtrr that it's write combining (the reason for mtrr support,
mainly).

With an AMD you may still need Alan Cox's mtrr patch, or 2.2.6ac1 which
should include the mtrr support for AMD chips. Cutting Edge says 2.2.6
has support for MTRR but that may be pentium only <shrug>.

For me, the command I run looks like this (millenium G200 SGRAM, 8megs):

echo "base=0xe8000000 size=0x800000 type=write-combining" > /proc/mtrr

and all is well :)

Good luck,

-V

*************************
* Vasilios F. Hoffman *
* Physics Unix Admin *
* Wesleyan University *
* www.con.wesleyan.edu *

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor". Not a "emacsitor". Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

(with apologies to fortune and trey for stealing the quote)