RMS - No not the man himself! (Was Re: caps in elf, next itteration

alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:12:19 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Mark H. Wood wrote:

> On VMS record I/O isn't a kernel issue anyway. RMS is a library --
> the only I/O syscall is SYS$QIO[W] which just moves blocks. RMS also
> handles the fancy locking needed by simple transaction systems. Only
> the locking primitives themselves are kernel functions. On days when
> I feel like offending thousands at a stroke, I toy with the idea of
> writing an RMS-like library for Unix. :-)

What, Richard Stallman is a library? 8) SYS$QIOW(RMS, GNU) RMS$GET,
RMS$READ, RMS$WRITE SYS$BRKTHRU SYS$TRNLNM(USER$FAO1, "RMS") ... gosh, I
can still remember some of my DCL stuff... and all these lovely TMPMBX,
CMKRNL, BUGCHECK privs...

(PS: For a laugh, you might like to check out
http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk/humour/university/hitchhacker.html)

Yes, please do offend all the UNIX purists by writing a RMS clone..

Cheers,
Alex

--
"A mind opened by new ideas cannot return to its original limits"

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk