Re: GNU/Linux

Philip Blundell (unknown@riverstyx.net)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:11:36 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:

[snips]

> We've already had evidence posted to this list that FSF-owned tools
> constitute less than 10% of the SuSE OS distribution.
>
> The FSF-copyrighted programs are a portion of the GNU software, and
> tools are also just a portion. So what fraction of a particular
> system consists of FSF-copyrighted tools has no special significance.

So, what exactly is the point here? You want it to be GNU/SuSE/Linux
because it contains even one FSF/GNU tool? Why not call it Vixie/Linux
'coz RedHat ships with Vixie cron and BIND? When I use Linux, I use it
for the kernel and the general environment that is common to all Linux
distributions that I've worked with so far. I could run Solaris or FreeBSD
with a big pile of GNU software if I wanted to, but I don't think I'd like
that too much...

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet