Re: Linux-2.2.4 testpatch..

Riley Williams (rhw@BigFoot.Com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:30:24 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Linus.

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

Fastest reply to one of my posts that I've ever had - I make it under
3 minutes from posting to receipt of reply...

>>> 1. write a large file that fills much of your memory because
>>> you're not doing anything else.
>>> 2. remove the file.
>>> 3. start applications that do _not_ do any writes to the
>>> filesystem, but use lots of memory in other ways..

>> So basically...

>> 1. Use mkisofs to create a CD image ready for burning to a CD.

>> 2. Discover it's slightly too large, so delete it.

>> 3. Run the RC5 contest tool from distributed.net whilst you work
>> out how to reduce the size of the CD image so everything fits.

> I'd love to hear what actually happens. I'm only speculating
> that the above _might_ result in problems on an unmodified 2.2.4
> - but there haven't actually been any complaints. There might be
> other interactions that just make the issue never come up.

Well, I've just downloaded kernel 2.2.4, and will be compiling it
later this evening, so I can try the above scenario out for you and
advise on the result...

> For example, when you run low on memory and do something, the
> non-free buffers are under incredible pressure, so it might
> easily start using the free ones quickly, and once they are in
> use again they will be free'd up eventually.

> That's why I'd be interested to hear whether anybody has
> actually ever seen any bad behaviour.

I've not seen any to date, but then, I haven't been looking for them
either...

Best wishes from Riley.