Re: Linux-2.2.4 testpatch..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:24:44 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> > 1. write a large file that fills much of your memory because
> > you're not doing anything else.
> > 2. remove the file.
> > 3. start applications that do _not_ do any writes to the
> > filesystem, but use lots of memory in other ways..
>
> So basically...
>
> 1. Use mkisofs to create a CD image ready for burning to a CD.
>
> 2. Discover it's slightly too large, so delete it.
>
> 3. Run the RC5 contest tool from distributed.net whilst you work
> out how to reduce the size of the CD image so everything fits.

I'd love to hear what actually happens. I'm only speculating that the
above _might_ result in problems on an unmodified 2.2.4 - but there
haven't actually been any complaints. There might be other interactions
that just make the issue never come up.

For example, when you run low on memory and do something, the non-free
buffers are under incredible pressure, so it might easily start using the
free ones quickly, and once they are in use again they will be free'd up
eventually.

That's why I'd be interested to hear whether anybody has actually ever
seen any bad behaviour.

Linus