[Fwd: Out of File Descriptors on 2.0.36]

Barry Treahy (treahy@mmaz.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:37:19 -0700

--------------637CE7896770FE60CCF37C9D

I've scanned the 2.0.36 sources and the only thing I see is in
fs/file_table.c where:

file = (struct file *) __get_free_page(GFP_KERNEL);

if (!file)
return 0;

nr_files += i = PAGE_SIZE/sizeof(struct file);

the value for nr_files is evaluated and then used later? Since it looks
like its dependent on the page size for i386 on Linux which is what
x0400? What is the limiting factor that is preventing nr_files for
growing everything grow_files is called? Am I chasing up the wrong
tree? As I've stated in another message, moving off 2.0.x isn't an
option at this time...

Barry

--------------637CE7896770FE60CCF37C9D