Re: Large Linux Server sucessfull installation

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:27:00 -0800

From: Eduardo Soriano <e_soriano@dapsys.ch>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:23:31 +0100

For Linux Community
Site Installation Report

Hardware pending troubles:
The external cabinet has room for 9 disks. The 10th disk was
installed into the main processor box.
All disks were linked together using eXtremeRaid 1100 channel 1.
Unable to prepare the System disks from the 2 5 disks packs.
We got all the time: disk nn goes offline
We linked the 9 external disks to the eXtemeRaid 1100 using
channel 2 meanwhile we keep the internal disk on channel 1
Channel 3 is free.

Which model disk drives are you using in this configuration? Did you check
Mylex's disk drive compatibility list at:

ftp://ftp.mylex.com/pub/dac960/diskcomp.html

When drives go offline spontaneously, it is usually due to either electrical
problems with the SCSI configuration or compatibility problems with the disk
drive firmware. Qualifying disk models and firmware versions for use with high
performance RAID controllers is not a trivial exercise.

Leonard