Re: patch for /proc/uptime against 2.2.2

Janos Farkas (Janos.Farkas-nouce/priv-#7yh9woaxZz3Fo.Y8Ev.wmTgkWPy@lk9qw.mail.eon.ml.org)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:33:51 +0100

On 1999-03-18 at 08:39:45, Ph. Marek wrote:
> Below is a patch to let /proc/uptime have the mtime of the last boot.
> /proc/uptime gets a new field, which displays the time spent in suspended
> mode (apm).
>
> currently this patch is for x86 only.
>
> this is my first kernel-patch; please don't spam me. useful comments
> are welcome.

OK. :) So, I'd say don't do it this way. First, think about how it
should like on SMP, with 2, 4 or more processors. Hint: don't look at
the code, it's broken. On SMP you can't determine how much the machine
is idling since it appears to be never idle according to /proc/uptime.

--
Janos - Don't worry, my address is real.  I'm just bored of spam.