RE: Token Ring layer clobbers first byte of saddr

Giuliano Procida (Giuliano.Procida@Madge.com)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:50:12 -0000

P Norton writes:
> Giuliano Procida writes:
> > This occurs at line 323 of net/802/tr.c (2.2.3) and although there is an
> > obvious way to fix it (save the byte and restore it at function exit)
> > there might well be a cleaner way of doing it.

> Look at line 371.

This line uses a test for a variable (rii_p) that is not always set when the
byte is clobbered. However, I don't know much about this. In any case, this
cosmetic change should be made:

th->saddr[0]&=0x7f to th->saddr[0] &= ~TR_RII (line 323 again)

> > The clobbering breaks tcpdump etc.

> tcpdump patched for token-ring works fine.

Well, not mine. I get 10:40 as the first two bytes of each destination MAC
address and everything thereon is two bytes out. Perhaps this is a driver
difference. Could you possibly let me know which patch and tcpdump version
you use? Thanks.

Giuliano Procida.