Re: FAT32: Invalid FSINFO signature on mount?

Max Cohan (mcohan@adnc.net)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:32:11 -0800

I've had the same problem. I've asked the maintainer (there IS one listed
in the MAINTAINERS file) and he doesn't have the time to fix it right now.
Also, I have not been able to find any information on this type of
partition. Not Microsoft, not PowerQuest (the people that make partition
magic), not half a dozen other people who'd think would know a lot about FAT32.

What I need to do is to look at the drive structure and see what the
differences are between a standard partition and one of these partions
with a different signature. BTW, I submitted a patch that at least
gave a more intelligent error and set the system in read only mode
when it saw these problems.

Let me know a little bit about the size of your partition/drive, etc.
I believe this to be an issue on _partitions_ larger than 8gigs. But,
I have only my system and a few random reports to go on. The more
information I have the more likely I'll be able to figure out the problem.
I may need you to do a dump of portions of your disk once I figure out
what information I need. That way I'll be able to 'verify' any changes.
You should be able to READ from the drive, but not write to it.

Thanks,
Max
mcohan@adnc.net