Re: netbeui for linux?

Ard van Breemen (ard@cstmel.hobby.nl)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 00:32:01 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, pennywis wrote:
> hey, i've been working a bit with LLC and NetBeui (aka NetBios frames
> protocol) lately. i figure that as long as i'm up to date and intelligable
> on the protocols i might as well try to give something back to the
> community.. my question is, would there be a general interest in
> implementing/supporting NetBeui for linux? (all uglyness/sloth of netbeui
> aside, it would make for better compatability in windows environments).
Although many people might cry no!, it certainly is a good idea. I have
seen a bank strugling with a closed "unix"-like proprietery box, only
talking netbeui. To unclose such a box needs at least windows. So any work
for netbeui would certainly not be a waste of time. I'm also thinking
about a lot of os/2 lanman systems that talk netbeui. It unfortanetely is
not a protocol that we can dismiss like a bad joke. I would have hoped
that someone already saw the "light" and that netbeui support already was
there.

--
 intel1: 12:19am up 11:40, 6 users, load average: 1.75, 1.35, 0.88
(----------------^^^^^^^^ This f*ing power outlet had a power switch that