Re: ppp & IDE problems on 2.2.2 ac7 :(

CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 08:31:26 +1100 (EST)

Enrico Demarin wrote the following:

> I found a bad problem today. I launched a cdparanoia rip of a
> cd while i was online on a ppp link. ppp hung and it began to report frame errors
> then i stopped the cdparanoia session and everything came back to normal :
> I t seems that when i access the ide bus heavily, ppp suffers a lot and starts giving errors.
> I tried to set umaskirq on all drives, but that did not help.
> my configuration is a P200mmx, with ide drives, HX chipset,
> (DMA is enabled by default ) , kernel 2.2.2ac7.
> has anyone a clue about the whole thing ?
> (i did not try vanilla 2.2.2)

Well, since I jumped to 2.1.x within days of getting Linux in order to get
my soundcard working I don't know if this problem cropped up then but, I
have to say I've never NOT experienced this problem. I can minimise it by
piping the output to another program that slows the ripper down but then
the ppp merely stutters heavily instead of outright freezing up (or slowing
down so much it looks like it's frozen up). When the rip is over with it
resumes normality. (whatever normal is anyway ;)

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

An electricity provider of New Hampshire, US has advised it's customers that in the event of a power failure they can log on to its website for more information... - Paraphrased from the New Scientist, Feb 6, 1999