Re: DNS error? Something wrong with TCP?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 23:08:01 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Alex Belits wrote:

>> > Mar 5 15:03:22 red named[362]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on red.prv?
>> > Mar 5 15:03:43 red last message repeated 4 times
>> >
>> > Kernel 2.0.36
>> >

>> This normally means that another name-server says it is "authoritive" for
>> the domain so your name-server has removed references to this name from
>> its cache. It is not a TCP error (named/bind uses UDP). If the name
>> that has been removed, can't be resolved, find that M$GARBAGE machine
>> that claims that it is authoritive and shoot it. Otherwise ignore it.
>
> While MS boxes are responsible for a lot of stupid things, this is most
>likely the case when there was no such domain in the first place. Local
>box simply has hostname red, /etc/hosts has red and red.prv, and there is
>no any .prv. zone on the local nameserver or anywhere. Once some program
>queries local nameserver with red.prv, it can't find a nameserver for
>red.prv. because there really isn't such a thing.

Ok, sounds like I do have an improper configuration of my local
DNS then. Here is what I get from nslookup:

1 root@red:/# nslookup red.prv
Server: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find red.prv: Non-existent host/domain

1 root@red:/# nslookup gw.red.prv
Server: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

Name: gw.red.prv
Address: 192.168.1.2

So it looks like somehow I missed red.prv. It *IS* in
/etc/hosts though, and is correct. Something must be ignoring
"files" and doing "dns" instead. I know that everything else is
configured properly. The only possible misconfig would be in
named.conf or named.red.prv or named.192.168.1

I just checked my named.red.prv file and found no entry for
red.prv. ;o) I just added it and nslookup now resolves. ;o)

Hopefully the error will disappear from my log now. ;o)

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!