Re: DNS error? Something wrong with TCP?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 23:01:24 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>> Mar 5 15:03:22 red named[362]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on red.prv?
>> Mar 5 15:03:43 red last message repeated 4 times
>>
>> Kernel 2.0.36
>>

>This normally means that another name-server says it is "authoritive" for
>the domain so your name-server has removed references to this name from
>its cache. It is not a TCP error (named/bind uses UDP). If the name
>that has been removed, can't be resolved, find that M$GARBAGE machine
>that claims that it is authoritive and shoot it. Otherwise ignore it.
>
>The "final solution" is to have only one machine that claims it's
>authoritive and the others should be caching-only servers.

My own machine is running DNS. I've got the default caching DNS
setup as provided by redhat, plus I've configured my own DNS for
my local network. My local domain is private: red.prv

So all my machines are: something.red.prv

After reading the error message, and then your reply, it makes me
wonder if my own DNS is misconfigured?

I'm getting this error very frequently so I'd like to resolve the
issue if possible. If this is a local machine issue, can you
help me with this? Can anyone? I've just set up the DNS about a
week ago and it was my first time setting up DNS from scratch.
It works, but it certainly may be misconfigured. It is just a
reserved private network that it is serving so I figured it isn't
going to cause too much trouble.

Thanks,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!