Re: MOSIX and kernel mods.

Simon Kenyon (simon@koala.ie)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 13:21:51 -0000 (GMT)

On 05-Mar-99 Horst von Brand wrote:
> There just isn't a 1e4 factor difference between paging and overlays, I'd
> be surprised if you get more than a factor of 2.

i was actually making the comparison between using "real" memory and "virtual"
memory. there is a factor of 4 between them (at least)

> And you could also tune
> your program to be paging-friendly by clustering functions/data used
> together... but I'd guess much of that happens semi-automatically by the
> way source programs are laid out (you don't usually define totally
> unrelated functions in the same source file, for one).

i take it from that comment that you've never had to write overlays :-)
been there, done that, have the tee...
well actually i don't have the tee-shirt.

anyone know where i can buy a "i used overlays in RSX-11/M" tee-shirt

is a tee-shirt one where if you pour data in one arm; it comes out the other arm
AND the bottom (or is it the neck? i forget!)

--
Simon Kenyon

irial limited mailto:simon@irial.com 10 Castle Avenue tel:+353-1-8530624 Clontarf gsm:+353-87-2805470 Dublin 3 http://www.irial.com/