Re: MOSIX and kernel mods.

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:16:49 -0300

"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> said:
> Richard Gooch writes:
> > Simon Kenyon writes:

> >> paging to/from disk

> > No, that's not a fair comparison. Paging/swapping is the only way to
> > extend virtual memory space without buying more RAM. Is there an
> > alternative method of increasing VM size without paging, and is it any
> > faster?

> Sure it is fair. You could use overlays instead, but most people
> are too lazy to do it. Overlays can give you better performance.

There just isn't a 1e4 factor difference between paging and overlays, I'd
be surprised if you get more than a factor of 2. And you could also tune
your program to be paging-friendly by clustering functions/data used
together... but I'd guess much of that happens semi-automatically by the
way source programs are laid out (you don't usually define totally
unrelated functions in the same source file, for one).

[...]

> > DSM can destroy performance for typical threaded programmes.

> It can. It does not always. One might as well try, especially when
> there is existing code that can be used.

That it can _for typical programs_ means you have to be avare of the
pitfalls... and that kills the "nice, friendly, uniform model" idea that is
quite critical to the whole bussiness at hand.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl