Re: support for MPLS?

William F. Maton (wmaton@enterprise.ic.gc.ca)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:14:24 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, William F. Maton wrote:
>
> > Is there any planned support for MPLS (Multiprotocol Label
> > Switching http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mpls-charter.html ) in the
> > networking/router-type kernel code?
>
> I seem to recall hearing there are patent problems with MPLS.

An IBMer sent a formal notice to the MPLS mailing some months ago. Curtis
Villamizar, among other MPLS luminaries, asked for further clarification,
but the topic seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Later on
there was talk that iBM was simply pointing out that there might be some
patents applicable, or words to that effect, but not much else. I'll ask
the list what the resolution was.

wfms