Re: rmdir of one's pwd (was Re: rmdir of a busy directory)

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 05:24:50 -0500 (EST)

On 15 Feb 1999, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> NFS or local disk? That certainly makes a difference. The kernel in
> general does not care, but the filesystem may.

Andreas, I had tested it only on 5.6 and there it gives the same result on
(a) NFS, (b) tmpfs, (c) local disk (UFS). Moreover, from the manpage for
rmdir(2) from 5.5.1:

rmdir(2) rmdir(2)

NAME
rmdir - remove a directory
[snip]
ERRORS
The named directory is removed unless one or more of the
following are true:
[snip]
EINVAL The directory to be removed is the
current directory.

EINVAL The final component of path is ``.''.
[snip]
4 Dec 1991 2

So that actually predates 5.5.