Re: A Problem With Sound I am Fed Up and see my problem its been more

Ian Eure (ieure@crosssound.narrows.com)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 02:18:23 -0800

Vishweshwar Saran Singh Deo \"Surguja\" wrote:

> Plese Read the Document Carefully and Forward it to other hackers or
> Driver Programmers.
>
> I have got a Aztech SC-16 3D Sound Card PnP (Plug and Play) with
> Windows-95. Also it is Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro Compatable and
> Ol3 and mpu401 support added. It works Just fine in Windows with its
> Superb 3-D Sound, Stereo capability.
>
> PROBLEM: The Problem which I am facing is that It Plays music CD's from
> right speaker only and other formats from both and excellent. I have
> tried everything and now there is no config error.
>
> 1. There is no cable Fault as It plays the music CD's from both speakers
> in Windows.
>
> 2. The setting are ok and same as those of Windows 95.
>
> 3. '.Wav' and '.midi' and '.au' files play well and excellent fro both the
> speakers in Linux, but not the music CD.
>
> 4. The mixer settings are also checked and no fault is in them.
>
> 5. The sound card is recognised and enabled by ISAPNP tools and the conf
> file is enclosed as an attachment.
>
> 7. I have had a lot of experience with Linux so there is not a stupid or
> careless fault.
>
> MY SYSTEM INFO:
> -------------
> I have Redhat Linux Installed 2.2.1 completely patched and OSS drivers and
> latest packages fron Redhat 5.2, Its from when I had installed 2.0.32 it
> is not working. Earlier I had Slakware Still it didnt worked it was about
> a 1.5 year ago. So it seems a driver problem.
>
> Evidences: The same problem was found with some people installing Redhat
> ----------
> and if you ran the cd player as soon as you booted it played from both but
> IN MY CASE IT DOSE'NT PLAY FROM BOTH OF SPEAKERS i.e MUSIC CD's
> [THERE IS NO CABLE OR MIXER FAULT]
>
> I have hacked every possibility for a year or so still no breakthrough.
>
> ENCLOSED FILES AS ATTACHMENTS:
> -----------------------------
> conf.modules
> isapnp
>
> NOTE's:
> -------
> PLEASE HELP ME OUT AND REPLY ME AT: vssinghdeo-surguja@altavista.net
> and forward it to people concerned.
>
> With Regards and Thanks
>
> Yours
>
> [configuration stuff cut]

Some stuff to check:

* Does music play from both speakers if you plug them into the audio
jack on the CD-ROM drive?
* Can you use eg cdda2wav to rip an audio track, then play the wav? does
it sound right?
* Did the problem occur with 2.0.xx?
* Have you tried downloading the trial version of the commercial OSS?
Did(does) it work? [www.4front-tech.com]
* If you plug a different device into the CD audio input on your
soundcard (fm tuner?) does the same thing happen?
* Does the problem happen if you plug the CD audio cable into an
auxillary input on your sound board? (if it has one, that is)

Basically, it is going to be one (or more?) of three problems: Your Cd
drive is hosed. Your CD audio cable is hosed. Or, the drivers for that
sound board are hosed.

If you verify that it is definitely not hardware, you should talk to the
OSS people next.