Re: [OFFTOPIC?] Re: 02/08-15:55 Automatic Omnigate Message (fwd)

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:51:46 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

>> Is anyone else getting these ANNOYING messages? (Attached at
>> bottom) I've been getting them for 2 weeks now. I wrote a rude
>> obnoxious letter to the folk there, was told to fuck off, to
>> which I replied basically the same.
>
>Yes, I've been getting them very intermittently for ages (I can't tell you
>since when 'cos I delete the damnable things). I've never even had a reply.

Yes, I've been getting them for far too long too.

>> 2) Block postings to linux-kernel from *@necon.se
>
>Don't think that will help -- we need to unsubscribe everyone in that domain,
>I think. I suspect the messages we are getting are triggered every now and
>then when vger tries to deliver list mail to a subscriber. I may be wrong.

That is basically what I meant. Unsubscribe necon.se users.

>> 3) Please send me an Omnigate super duper sending license (I'd
>> prefer a wall mountable 14x11 copy if possible).
>
>Don't give in :)

It was spoken in jest. ;o)

>> 4) Do repetitive nmap scans in the necon.se domain with an
>> attempt to bring down all of their machines and/or gain access
>> and/or break root and fix their broken friggen configuration.
>
>Break root? Can you say 'Windows NT'? :)

Windows Nice Try? Yeah... Sorry... I *assume* UNIX when someone
refers to a server that is on the net, as anything else, by
definition - is a workstation. NT server is just a glorified
workstation, and even that is giving it too much credit.

Now that it is clear that it is an NT box, it is also clear the
intelligence level of the sysadmin, and the quality of the
software running on the box, not to mention the business that
owns the computer, their families, and bloodlines...

Anyone know what necon.se is? I think that maybe they need a
taste of the "slashdot effect". I'm sure I can find something on
their servers of interest to /. users... lets givem a taste of
"Goodbye server that was on slashdot blues"...

>Seriously though, this probably
>isn't the way to go. Accidentally mis-configuring your mailer to auto-reply
>10 times or so to each message from them should perfectly legit though..

Can someone send me a procmail rule for autoreplying to specific
posts based on subject/poster/domain/etc? I believe Richard
Gooch has such a wonderful script (that many disagree with, but
which does have its merits.)

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

News for nerds, stuff that matters: http://slashdot.org