[OFFTOPIC] Re: CDROM-less in 2.2.0. ;o(

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:49:55 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Guest section DW wrote:

>Mike A. Harris writes:
>
> In 2.0.x I used /dev/sr[01] to access my cdroms for mounting, and
> it worked. Should this be changed to scd0? If so, this causes
> many NUMEROUS initscript changes to be able to dual boot 2.0.x
> and 2.2.x on the same system.
>
>Probably I missed some essential element in the foregoing discussion.
>But surely you are completely free to give your files any name
>you want? Nothing prevents you from having
>
>br-xr-xr-x 2 root disk 11, 0 Feb 12 1994 /dev/cdrom
>br-xr-xr-x 2 root disk 11, 0 Feb 12 1994 /dev/scd0
>br-xr-xr-x 1 root disk 11, 0 Mar 14 1993 /dev/sr0

Yes. The problem isn't that though. In 2.0.36, I mount /dev/sr0
and /dev/sr1 no problem. In 2.2.0 however the kernel says that
they are sr0 and sr1 no problem, but it wouldn't mount them at
all.

Someone told me that I must make sure "probe for LUN's" or
something is NOT enabled in my kernel to use ide-scsi, and I
checked and found out that it was enabled.

I've disabled it, and am recompiling 2.2.1 right now for further
testing.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

News for nerds, stuff that matters: http://slashdot.org