Re: PPP 2.3.5 won't compile

Robert Broughton (altnews@uniserve.com)
14 Feb 1999 19:16:50 GMT

In article <36C6564D.49267E47@njmc.com>,
jlemay@njmc.com (John LeMay) writes:
> Clifford Kite wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, John LeMay wrote:
>>
>> |In file included from sys-linux.c:68:
>> |.../include/linux/ppp_defs.h:97: parse error before `ext_accm'
>> |.../include/linux/ppp_defs.h:97: warning: data definition has no type or
>> |storage class
>>
>> Here is what I have for ppp-2.3.5 and the 2.1.131 kernel. I would expect
>> to be able to apply identical reasoning to that shown below for the 2.2.1
>> kernel.
>>
>> In /usr/include/linux/ppp_defs.h, line 97 is
>>
>> typedef __u32 ext_accm[8];
>>
>> so __32 is not defined as a data type for you but it is for me. What
>> follows is the sequence of steps that lead to where the data type __32 is
>> defined for me. It's likely that for you there is a step somewhere in
>> this sequence in which something is missing.
>
> Perfectly logical, once it was pointed out to me. Thanks!
>

>> In ppp-2.3.5/pppd/sys-linux.c, line 67 is
>> #include <linux/types.h>
>>
>> In /usr/include/linux/types.h, line 5 is
>> #include <asm/types.h>
>>
>> In /usr/include/asm/types.h, line 18 is
>> typedef unsigned int __u32;
>>
>> which defines the data type __u32.
>
> Everything checks out here. The typedef looks fine, all the includes are
> there.
>

>> One thing that might cause this are missing symbolic links:
>> /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/
>> /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386/,
>>
>> and,just to complete the list of kernel-related links that should exist,
>> /usr/include/scsi -> /usr/src/linux/include/scsi/
>
> All of these are fine. Even recreated them to be sure...
>

>> Another thing that might cause them is a missing include define, say, no
>> #include <asm/types.h>
>>
>> in /usr/include/linux/types.h
>
> Not a problem - this looks fine here.

I have exactly the same situation as John LeMay, and when I attempt
to compile pppd 2.3.5, I get exactly the same errors.

The only other variable I can think of here is gcc. I'm using 2.7.2.3.
Clifford, which version are you using?

--
"I am a law abiding citizen, its the law that makes me a criminal!"
	-sschnurr@home.com

Bob Broughton mailto:roberb7@uniserve.com WWW: http://users.uniserve.com/~roberb7 Vancouver, BC, Canada