Re: nls problems

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:28:33 +0000

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 02:11:51PM +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

> I wrote a couple of days ago, about my trouble getting nls to work.
> (virgin 2.2.1) It seems that if the kernel is compiled, to just support
> base filesystems, then booted, make menuconfig to add NLS/vfat/...,
> followed by make modules/modules_install, then nls won't work.

I notice fs/filesystems.c has

#ifdef CONFIG_NLS
init_nls();
#endif

So NLS support is something that gets built into the kernel proper, but the
codepages can be built as modules.

Maybe the NLS menu needs to have a separate

[ ] Enable NLS support

option at the top, which makes the code pages available when selected. That
would make it obvious that NLS support was a kernel feature.

S.

--
"Apathy is not the problem, it's the solution"